- Most library items may be borrowed for 21 days including: CD, eBook reader (eReader), iPad mini, book-on-CD, Launchpad
- Bestseller and high demand items: 14 day loan if there are holds on the item
- Magazine: 7 day loan
- DVD and video games: 7 day loan
- EXPRESS collection: 7 day loan for a book; 2 day loan for a DVD
- Book Club kit: 60 day loan, not renewable
- Chromebook and MacBook: in-library use only by teen and adult cardholders
At any one time, you may have up to 50 items on loan from the library. Certain borrowing restrictions apply:
- One eReader (including EXPRESS) is allowed on a card at one time.
- eReaders, iPads, and Launchpads may be borrowed on adult, senior, and teen library cards only.
- mature video games and restricted DVDs can only be borrowed on an adult card.
- items may be renewed, but there are some exceptions.
- If an item is currently not available, you can place a "hold" on it. You can have up to 100 holds on your card.
The library's video console game collection includes simulation, strategy, role-playing, sports, and action video games geared to families, children, teens and adults. The games include Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Playstation 4. Our collection features games rated:
- Everyone (E): may be suitable for age six and older
- Everyone 10+ (E+): may be suitable for age 10 and older
- Teen (T): may be suitable for age 13 and older
- Mature (M) may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older
You can place a hold on any item in the library’s collection, including those On Order, except for EXPRESS books and DVDs, and In Library Use Only items. Place holds using our online catalogue or by phoning us.
The maximum number of holds allowed on a library card at one time is 100.
Holds cannot be placed on popular or bestselling items that have not yet been released or published. The Libary automatically acquires new, popular, and bestselling items in all available formats, so please do not submit requests for these titles. Please wait until the items are On Order in our catalogue and then place your hold.
When your hold item becomes available, you will be notified by telephone or email.
Holds notice by email: If you have given us permission to do so, the library will email a due date reminder two days before your items are due, and overdue notices.
Holds notice by telephone: Our automated telephone notification system will call you to let you know that your hold item is ready for pick-up and at what location.
Pausing holds: You can pause your holds through the catalogue. When you're ready to read once again, simply return your holds to active status. You cannot pause holds on items that are available on the shelf.
If you miss picking up a hold: If you do not pick up your hold by the expiry date, unfortunately there is no record kept of the hold you've missed. With email notification, do not delete your message until you pick up the item so you can keep track of your holds.
Most print and audiovisual items may be renewed up to 10 times, that is, for 21 days from the date of renewal and then again for another 21 day loan period, and so on.
- Can not be renewed: items with outstanding holds, EXPRESS collection books, DVDs, and seasonal items
- Materials can be renewed in person at any branch, through the library's online catalogue, and using the Touch-Tone Telephone Renewal Service: Call 905.333.3701 and have your library card and the item(s) you wish to renew within reach. If you have more than five items to renew, please call the library during open hours at 905.639.3611 and a staff member will help you.
You can return items you borrow from Burlington Public Library to any of our locations. 24-hour drop boxes are available at all locations.
- eReaders must be returned in person to a check-out desk, not in a library drop box.
- Please do not return items borrowed from another city's library to us: we cannot guarantee that they'll be returned safely by a specific date and time.
- If you've missed the due date for borrowed items by 7, 28, 49 days, the telephone notification system will phone to remind you that fines are accumulating daily.
- If you signed up to get email notices for holds, we will also send an email when items are overdue.
- Overdue reminders stop after 49 days.