New to Canada
Our Newcomers Corner at each library location has pamphlets about federal, provincial and municipal programs relevant to newcomers needs.
Burlington Public Library, Halton Multicultural Council (funded by CIC), The Centre for Skills Development and Training, and Burlington Alliance have partnered to offer programs that assist newcomers.
Settlement Worker in the Library Program
If you are new to Canada and need help getting settled, a visiting settlement worker from the Halton Multicultural Council can assist you in many ways:
- government document application
- employment and job search
- information and referral to local services
- document translation
- help with school enrollment
- finding affordable housing
- For confirmation of dates of these programs call Halton Multicultural Council 905.842.2486 ext. 223
Other programs of interest to new Canadians offered at the library:
- Computer Classes for Newcomers
- The Canadian Citizenship Test: Get Ready!
- ESL Conversation Circles
All current session are listed below.